303 W. Main Street, West Dundee, IL 60118
 | 847-428-7725
Call for an Initial Consultation
Evening and Weekend Hours by Appointment
100 Illinois Street, Suite 200, St. Charles, IL 60174
 | 630-200-4882
By Appointment Only
Evening and Weekend Hours by Appointment
West Dundee, IL847-428-7725
St. Charles, IL630-200-4882
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Serving Kane, McHenry, DuPage and Cook Counties

How to Apply for College Financial Aid as Divorced Parents

Posted on in Family Law

Kane County divorce lawyer

Working to help your child apply to college is not an easy process. Colleges are charging more than ever for tuition and other fees, so most need some type of financial aid. When students require financial aid for college, they are required to fill out forms and answer questions about income and family status. These questions can be tricky if you and your spouse are going through a divorce or are divorced. 

Here are some tips for helping your child apply for financial aid with your new family situation:

How to Pay for College with Divorced Parents

Determining who is going to pay for tuition is one of the more stressful parts of attending college, for parents and children alike. You need to have realistic discussions about the cost of college and all related expenses. Knowing the estimated total cost, who will pay what amount, and how much financial aid you will receive, may affect the decision of what university your child will attend and their living arrangements.

Parental Responsibilities of Custodial and Non-Custodial Parents

When parents divorce, the custodial parent is the one who the child spends the majority of their time with and who often carries more of the financial burden. How involved the non-custodial parent will be in paying for college is important to know when applying for financial aid. It is beneficial to everyone to know what the involvement of the non-custodial parent will be so that can be factored into the process. 

Do Not Overshare

If a student reports the income of their mother, father, stepmother, and stepfather, it can affect the amount of aid schools and the government are willing to provide. Each person’s situation is different, but some students make the mistake of over-reporting their parent’s income when they do not need to, and lose out on potential financial aid because of that mistake. 

Contact a Kane County Family Law Attorney

To help plan for your life during and after divorce, contact the trusted lawyers at the Law Offices of Benedict Schwarz, II PC. Our experienced and helpful West Dundee family lawyers possess the skill and knowledge necessary for your divorce case. Contact us at 847-428-7725 for a initial consultation. 




  • Illinois Best Law Firms
  • Super lawyers
  • Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Comission
  • Lawyers Association Program
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association
  • DuPage Bar Association
  • Martin Dale
  • aacfl
Back to Top