Domestic Violence Divorce
Abused by your spouse? Turn to us for help.
At the Law Offices of Benedict Schwarz, II P.C., we have been helping domestic violence victims find the safest, most legally sound strategies to protect themselves, their children, and obtain a divorce from their abusers for four decades.
If your spouse is abusing you, or worse, if your spouse is hurting your children, we can help. We understand the sensitivity of your situation, but we also understand the urgency. You simply cannot afford to wait. You must seek help now.
Your safety comes first, here's why we are the firm to trust:
- We have over 40 years of experience handling domestic violence divorces.
- You can discuss your case with an attorney for FREE.
- We can help you file for an emergency order of protection.
- Attorney Schwarz has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® since 2006.
Domestic Violence – It Can Happen to Anyone
Domestic violence is a crime; anyone who hits, punches, kicks, chokes, harasses, or interferes with the personal liberty of a spouse, child, or other family member has violated Illinois' domestic violence law.
Under Illinois law, a family or household member includes:
- Family members related by marriage or blood
- Spouses or former spouses
- People who live together
- People who have a child in common
- People who are dating, or used to date
Domestic violence includes:
- Physical abuse (pushing, hitting, forced sex etc.)
- Harassment or stalking
- Forcing a child to watch abuse
- Not allowing you to leave
Sobering Facts About Domestic Violence
According to the Illinois State Police, in the last decade the government has increased its response to this societal problem. Due to the enactment of the Illinois Domestic Violence Act of 1986, and recent Supreme Court rulings, law enforcement has enhanced its efforts to protect the victims of domestic violence.
The Illinois State Police reports that:
- Every 15 seconds, a woman is beaten in the U.S.
- Two out of five women who are murdered, are killed by their husbands.
- In at least 95% of the cases of partner abuse, a woman is beaten by a man.
- Violence in the home usually gets more severe with time.
- Children who grow up in violent homes learn to believe that family violence is normal.
Domestic violence occurs in every race, every religion, and it affects every socioeconomic class. It does not just happen in poor families, or families with a history of substance abuse.
Contact the Law Offices of Benedict Schwarz, II P.C.
At the Law Offices of Benedict Schwarz, II P.C., we know that leaving an abusive relationship is difficult and often dangerous. We can help you so that leaving can be easier and safer for you and your children.
We can explain which items you need to collect, we can connect you with the right resources including law enforcement agencies, and as your Illinois divorce attorney, we can ensure that your safety, and your rights to your children and your property are fully protected.
You shouldn't do this alone, we urge you to call us for help right now.