303 W. Main Street, West Dundee, IL 60118
 | 847-428-7725
Call for an Initial Consultation
Evening and Weekend Hours by Appointment
100 Illinois Street, Suite 200, St. Charles, IL 60174
 | 630-200-4882
By Appointment Only
Evening and Weekend Hours by Appointment
West Dundee, IL847-428-7725
St. Charles, IL630-200-4882
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Serving Kane, McHenry, DuPage and Cook Counties

Kane County Post Judgment Order Modification Lawyers

Carpentersville Post Judgment Order Modification Lawyers

Attorneys for Post Divorce Changes in St. Charles, Algonquin, and Barrington Hills

When a marriage dissolution is completed, a final judgment is entered by the court spelling out the terms and conditions of the divorce. This is not always the end of the story, however. Significant life changes sometimes necessitate a modification of the original judgment. Whether you are seeking a post-judgment order modification or disputing a post-decree modification request, you need strong legal counsel by your side advocating for your rights and interests.

At the Law Offices of Benedict Schwarz, II P.C., we are well-established and trusted in Kane County and the surrounding communities because of our skill, proficiency, and commitment to client-centered representation. Our lawyers have over 50 years of combined family law experience, and we have helped thousands of clients with complex divorce issues such as post-judgment order modifications and enforcement. We have an in-depth understanding of these issues and what it takes to resolve them favorably.

Common Post-Judgment Order Modification Issues in Illinois

There are many circumstances in which it may be appropriate to revisit the original divorce decree. These include:

  • Child Support: If the payor experiences a job loss, a significant reduction in salary, medical problems, physical disability, or another type of hardship, he/she may seek to reduce child support payments accordingly. These modifications may be temporary or permanent, depending on the specific circumstances. In the alternative, if a payee believes that a payor has received a substantial increase in their income, they can seek to increase their child support payments.
  • Alimony/Maintenance/Spousal Support: The circumstances of the ex-spouses may warrant an increase or decrease in spousal maintenance payments. For example, if the paying spouse has a significant reduction in income, he/she may not be able to afford the current payments. Another common circumstance is when the receiving spouse gets remarried or is cohabitating with another partner, at which time it may be appropriate to end spousal support payments.
  • Allocation of Parental Responsibilities: Children get older, and their activities and schedules often change significantly. Parents sometimes relocate out of the area for job opportunities or other reasons. These and other changes often necessitate a modification in parental responsibility and/or parenting time/visitation schedules.
  • Asset Division: Division of property is normally settled at the time the divorce is finalized. However, if hidden assets are uncovered after the marriage has been dissolved, a post-judgment order modification may be appropriate to address this situation.

Ex-spouses often try to make alterations to the terms and conditions of a divorce decree on their own. These types of informal agreements are not enforceable, however, and your ex-spouse is under no legal obligation to uphold his/her end of it. For this reason, it is strongly recommended to put any changes to the divorce settlement in writing and have them approved by the court.

Speak With a Knowledgeable Carpentersville Post Judgment Order Modification Lawyer

Life changes are sure to happen, and some changes are significant enough to warrant a change to your final divorce decree. At the Law Offices of Benedict Schwarz, II P.C., we take the time to fully understand your needs, and we will stand by your side throughout the post-judgment order modification process to ensure your rights and interests are fully protected.

For an initial consultation with one of our experienced divorce lawyers, contact our office today at 847-428-7725 or 630-200-4882. We serve clients in Kane County, McHenry County, DuPage County, Cook County/Rolling Meadows, Algonquin, Barrington, Barrington Hills, Batavia, Bull Valley, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, Cary, Crystal Lake, Dundee, East Dundee, Elgin, Geneva, Lake in the Hills, Pingree Grove, St. Charles, South Elgin, West Chicago, West Dundee, Woodstock, and the surrounding Illinois communities.

  • Illinois Best Law Firms
  • Super lawyers
  • Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Comission
  • Lawyers Association Program
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association
  • DuPage Bar Association
  • Martin Dale
  • aacfl
Back to Top